Delayed Radiation Injury
What is Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT)?
HBOT involves exposing the body to 100% oxygen while inside a hyperbaric chamber that is pressurized greater than what you normally experience. We need oxygen to heal properly and exposing your body to 100% oxygen can accelerate the healing process by allowing more oxygen to reach damaged areas. This gives the body the opportunity to heal and significantly improve, if not totally relieve their patients of their presenting symptoms.
HBOT for Post Radiation Complications:
HBOT has been used successfully in the treatment of delayed radiation injury for over 30 years. Soft Tissue Radionecrosis (STRN) is created when high doses of radiation cause damage to soft tissue.
The radiation that is used to kill cancer cells can also destroy the normal cells in the surrounding tissue. Cells that form the blood vessels are also affected.
This means that tissues which have been exposed to radiation have a very poor blood supply. Any wound created in this area will be very difficult to heal due to the poor blood supply.
Conditions include, but are not limited to:
• Radiation Cystitis (Bladder infection)
• Radiation Proctitis (Rectum inflammation) & Enteritis (Intestines inflammation)
• Oral Cavity Delayed Soft Tissue Radiation Injury
• Laryngeal Necrosis
• Abdominal, Pelvic & other soft tissue wounds due to radiation therapy
• Radiation tissue injury after mastectomy
• Neurological injuries secondary to radiation therapy
Benefits of HBOT for STRN?
Most major insurance companies cover HBOT for STRN. HBOT is the only natural medical treatment to target and repair damaged tissue caused by radiation treatment.
The therapy is painless, and it can produce a wide range of effects, including:
• Creates blood vessel formation
• Advances wound healing
• Decreases swelling
• Improves infection control
• Helps save damaged tissue
• Relief from pain
• Decrease in urinary/bowel frequency, pain, burning or bleeding.